Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Fun Snippet Bowl You Can Make

Here is a wool snippet bowl that is so easy to make.  It takes just about 30 minutes to finish and can be made from your favorite wool fabrics or you may want to make one from quilt fabrics for thread ends!

I have chosen a plaid wool from The Red Saltbox and another brown that I have used in several of my hooked rugs.





1. Start by drawing a triangle (mine is 9 1/2" on each side.) Round off each of the three points. 2. Cut one triangle from each of your two fabrics and place right sides together. 3. Sew the two together using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving approx. 1 1/2" open to turn right sides out. Be sure to clip curved edges and trim corner seam allowances to eliminate bulk. 4. Whip- stitch opening and press. 5. Pinch the center of each of the sides together and top stitch close to the edge for approx. 2" from base. 6. Fold each of the rounded points to the outside and sew a button to hold in place. Voila!! You have your snippet bowl!

Pretty cool! Mine turned out to be about 4 1/2" wide on each side and 2" high. Hope you enjoy your snippet bowl. By the way, it would be easy to make this larger if you wish, but I think the little ones are cute. I'm starting to think of other uses for these. How about one by the sink for your rings! They could hold buttons, or change, or your thimble and measuring tape.

7 comments:

  1. Linda, Very cute - Thank you! I suppose this would keep pieces of wool from hanging off the back of my husbands shorts during a baseball game. I noticed something hanging from his back pocket Saturday when he was coaching third base - dismissed it thinking it was his stop watch (didn't know why he'd have it during game - but who knew). He came over to me between innings 5 & 6 and handed me a piece of left over wool! Too funny. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute Linda! I can't wait to try and make one myself - wish me luck!

    P.S. I added your tutorial to Pinterest so others might be able to find it and enjoy it also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Gayle. You won't need luck with your sewing ability! It is simple and the finished result is so cute. I'm planning to make more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the idea! That's cute and practical. What a great stocking stuffer for crafty friends! ~Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO VERY Cute! I'm making one tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda - I just posted a picture of the little snippets bowl that I made from your instructions. It was a quick, fun project for me to make - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!